Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Trouble at School

My son received the new game Rock Band to go with his XBox for Christmas. Now Rock Band is multi-generational, all the adults, family and friends, who have tried it love it and it can be addicting. However, it is rated T for Teen, for some mild inappropriate lyrics. Now mind you Daniel is 12, but my girls are 7 & 4 and of course anything Daniel does the girls want to try, but it is a bit too hard for them. But they like the music, so they'll sit in there and listen while he plays. During the school year we also watch another 7 year old little girl after school 'till her parents get off work. So when school started back last week and she came over for the first time since before Christmas break my kids wanted to show her everything they had gotten for Christmas. So now, thanks to us, she has heard the Rock Band music as well. Weeeellll, today after school in the van on the way home she tells me that she can't sing one of the songs on Rock Band anymore. I'm thinking uh-oh, what have I done. So I asked her which one. It's a song called "Creep" by Radiohead. The chorus lyrics are as follows..."I"m a creep, I'm a weirdo, what the he** am I doing here, I don't belong here...etc.". Now when we sing it we either leave the he** word out or change it to heck. But the lyrics appear on the screen, so I guess she read them. Anyway, I asked her if she had told her mom about it to which she replied "yes". So I asked her what her mom said and she said she couldn't remember. Well by this time we have picked up Daniel and he is getting in on the conversation and he asks her why she told her mom, he's thinking he's the one who looks bad for letting her play his game. She says she told her mom because "we" had gotten in trouble at school yesterday for singing it. To which I replied who's "we"? Well, it was her and Kathryn. So now I want to know why Kathryn didn't tell me about it. Of course, she said she "forgot", which, knowing Kathryn, she probably did. After further questioning it was the teachers aide who heard them singing it and just told them not to sing it anymore. I told them that when Daniel sings it he changes the words, but that it would probably be best if they not sing it at all anymore. So now the teacher's aide and the other little girls mother must think I'm a terrible mother for letting 7 year olds listen to that kind of music. I guess I probably am, I'm sure it's not the first time and it won't be the last that someone thinks I'm a terrible mother. Oh well, such is life.

1 comment:

Steph said...

This reminds me of the time Aspen came home from school and told me that someone had bumped into her "titty". I asked "you're what?" To which she repeated and I informed her that we don't call our breasts that then asked where she heard that. She said another little girl at school (1st grade) called her own breasts that!
Funny stuff!